Visa information for admitted students
New students in their home country who have received the Form I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status” from De Anza College need to apply for their F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. International students can apply for an F-1 visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their country within 90 days counting from the reporting date typed on the Form I-20 and enter the U.S. within 30 days from the reporting date. You will need to pay a SEVIS fee and visa application fee, prepare documents, and be interviewed. If your visa application is approved, the U.S. embassy will place a F-1 visa sticker in your passport. You are now ready to purchase your airline ticket and make arrangements to attend De Anza College.
Documents needed to apply for an F-1 visa:
- Form I-20
- A valid passport
- Proof of financial support
- Proof of payment of SEVIS (I-901) fee *
- Completed visa application Form DS-160 for all non-immigrant applicants
Contact the Embassy or Consulate where you will apply for the F-1 visa to find out about any additional required documents and fees, and to schedule a visa interview.
* About the SEVIS fee:
- All new F-1 students must pay the SEVIS fee
- If you have been absent from the U.S. for more than five months, you must pay the SEVIS fee
- If you are transferring from another U.S. school, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee
- Dependents do not need to pay the SEVIS fee
Print out the SEVIS fee receipt and keep it as proof of payment. You will need to submit it with your visa application.
Note: Canadian citizens do not need to apply for a visa, but must pay the SEVIS fee and will need to show proof of payment at the Port of Entry.